Saturday, October 31, 2009

Almost 2 years after c-section...?

I give birth to my baby almost two years ago. The incision is not gone (like I hear from other women). The gyno told me it was a keloid (spelling??). That is not the problem. After I had the c-section I was unable to sleep on my side for a while because of sharp pulling sensation on my two sides . Now, after almost two years I still feel this exact same pain sometimes. I also have the same feeling of discomfort around the area as I did after the c-section when I empty my bladder. I told my doctor about it but she did not really think it was a problem. I am also having trouble concieving although I became pregnant within one month for the first baby. I will go to the docotor again to ask her about any problems that are causing our inability to have another baby. I am not totally happy with her but she sends me to this high risk pregnancy group that I absolutely love and trust. Any ideas about what could be causing this pain?
Answer:
nerve entrapment is one idea but also plain ole adhesion's spindle like scar tissue some people develop but also caused from the cautery they use during surgery to stop little bleeds, if you keloid than you most likely develop adhesion's also for the scar you can have them inject some steroids to flatten out the scar for the adhesion they can laparoscopically remove them but this isn't very successful for long term as they return easily and the surgery to remove them can cause more, when you get pregnancy again and repeat c/section they will remove them, consecutive c/sec always take longer as a majority of women have them and don't even know it.
If it were less than 2 years I would say infection, but since it's been so long my educated guess (I'm an OB/GYN nurse) would say it is just a very sensitive scar or at the extreme end it could be nerve entrapment where scar tissue forms around healing nerves and basically "strangles" them. You have to remember that with a C-section the cut goes from your outer skin through your uterus so there can potentially be a lot of scar tissue that forms. I would bring up nerve entrapement at your next appointment and see what they say. This should more than likely not be interfering with becomming pregnant again... every pregnancy is different and can take much different time to conceive child to child. Hope this helps!
Some doctors blow stuff off when there is a problem. Get to a couple doctors and interview them. Do not ask them for a diagnosis at the interview or you will be charged. Just ask questions to see if you feel the doctor would listen to you and attempt to solve problems. That is the only way to go. Get a new doctor.
Everyone else has given you what I think are good answers about the problem with your scar.

Unfortunately, cesareans also carry the risk of secondary infertility. Should you get pregnant again, you will want to seek a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) with your future pregnancies in order to minimize the risk of complications future cesareans will bring to your future pregnancies. Many doctors are very hesitant to attend VBACs because they tend to be careless by inducing and using other interventions that increase the risks, and are therefore legally risky, so most doctors will try to talk you out of a VBAC. For this reason, you will want to find a doctor or midwife that is supportive of your plans.

It's also very important that you follow your gut with respect to your doctor and find someone you trust and that can give you answers to your questions.

The best way to find a VBAC-friendly midwife or doctor is by going to http://www.ican-online.org . Click on "Community" and then "Local Chapters" and search for a chapter in your state.

You can also join ICAN for support and advice at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ican-onlin... .

Best of luck trying to conceive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Womens Health Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net